Monday 28 March 2016

Personal Statements - PS are BS

Personal statements are horrific.

That is the truth through and through. Nobody enjoys writing them, I highly doubt anyone enjoys reading them, and more often than not, they seem to be ignored. My personal statement took around 8 drafts, being sent back and forth between my tutor, secondary school tutor, parents, and biology mentor, as well as myself. Even after all of this, there are still whole sections I’d love to change but I think that’s a common feeling about a piece. I worked on it for MONTHS!

And yet, one of my universities gave me an offer within 18 hours… factoring in that this was over night and even admissions staff need to sleep, I find it hard to believe that they actually looked through all of my references, attendance and personal statement, rather than just predicted grades and going on that.

However, I have heard it said that admissions tutors can tell a lot from someone’s PS. If you’re applying for medicine but have a biology based subject as a backup, but all through your PS you talk about your love for medicine, helping people and interest of the human body, it’s not a very subtle hint to the AT that their course isn't your top choice, and will often be rejected simply due to your lack of interest for their subject. In the long scheme of things, I see this as pretty justified, no teacher wants to teach a classroom full of students who don’t want to be there!

One of the hardest bit of the PS is 4000 characters, and the nightmare that is the inconsistency between how word processors count characters, versus how the UCAS website counts characters. I can recommend doing some background research googling the dos and don’ts of writing your PS. The one major point I will emphasise here (so as not to just repeat everyone else entirely) is that I find it hard to believe that you “have had a passion for chemical engineering from a young age” or “as long as I can remember”. It’s just not true, and we all know it!

Get your friends to help you, those who have known you for several years or so are likely to be aware of what work experience you've done, or what skills you have which make you perfect for the course which you simply wouldn't think of! Don’t be scared to print it off now and then and annotate it, absolutely pick it apart, rearrange it even, aim to get that page as colourful as the revision that you would be doing, if you didn't have to do this, would be.

Keep your head up, and try not to repeat the same word too many times (I'm a sucker for doing that so sorry in advance!)

All the best,


Bea x

No comments:

Post a Comment